from the Star--DeKalb High School academic teams won the Northeast Hoosier Conference championship Monday night for the third year in a row, said coach Andy Comfort.
DeKalb played host to the NHC Academic Super Bowl Invitational meet. Columbia City placed second overall, followed by Homestead, East Noble and Carroll.
Individual teams from DeKalb earned thse placings:
* social studies, first (team members Christa Voirol, Sean Mentzer, Matt Irwin, Shawn Pfefferkorn and coach Andy Comfort);
* math, first (Jessica Dye, Will Pierce, Celeste Mewhard, Dallas Krinop and coach Josh Yankey);
* English, fifth (Sara Edmonds, Celeste Newhard, Leah Ziebell, Garrett Newhard and coach Cyndi Klink)
* science, second, tied for first but broken by tiebreakers, (Will Pierce, Shayna Burrage, Christa Voirol and coach Jenny Oberlin);
* fine arts, second (Annabelle VanHorn, Teddy Lepley, Shayna Burrage and coach Amy Buchs); and
* interdisciplinary, first (Christa Voirol, Annabelle VanHorn, Will Pierce, Celeste Newhard).